Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Goodbye Paco de Lucia!

StumbleUpon



Today has died in Mexico, at the age of 66, reportedly of a heart attack while playing with his children on a beach, the great flamenco guitar player Paco de Lucia. 
The whole music world lost one of the best musician ever!
Paco de Lucia was born Francisco Sanchez Gomez on 21 December 1947, the son of flamenco guitarist Antonio Sanchez, who was of Gypsy origin. His stage name he took in honour of his mother, Lucia Gomes.
It is believed he had played the guitar from the age of five.
"My family grew up with the Gypsies," the guitarist stated in a 1994 article in Guitar Player.
"My father and all my brothers played guitar, so before I picked it up, before I could speak, I was listening. Before I started to play, I knew every rhythm of the flamenco. I knew the feeling and the meaning of the music, so when I started to play, I went directly to the sound I had in my ear."
At the age of 18 he recorded his first album in Madrid.
He was one of the first flamenco guitarists who has also successfully crossed over into other genres of music such as classical and jazz. De Lucía was noted for his innovation and colour in harmony and his remarkable dexterity, technique, strength and fluidity in his right hand, capable of executing extremely fast and fluent picados.




Rest in peace Paco! And let the angels hear the sound your guitar!

No comments:

Post a Comment